At the opening of the Legislative Building in 1912, a red carpet was chosen for the legislative chamber, and it remained red for the building’s first century. In a historic ceremony today, Hon. Dan D’Autremont, Speaker of the Legislative Assembly of Saskatchewan, officially unveiled the updated flooring in the chamber. The red carpet, last renewed in 1978, has been replaced with a green carpet to commemorate the Saskatchewan Legislative Building’s centennial year.
The new green carpet reflects the original intentions of the building’s architects and planners. Constructed over four years from 1908 to 1912, the Legislative Building has a variety of green marble elements throughout. Most notable are the green pillars in the rotunda; in the legislative chamber, green marble lines the base of the walls.
In the Westminster parliamentary tradition, green or blue carpeting has historically been used in elected houses of assembly, such as the House of Commons and most provincial legislatures in Canada. Red carpeting has customarily been reserved for upper houses like the Senate.
The unveiling ceremony featured remarks by Speaker Dan D’Autremont, Minister Responsible for the Provincial Capital Commission Kevin Doherty, and Leader of the Opposition John Nilson. Also in attendance were many present and former Speakers, MLAs, and Officers of the Assembly. The honoured guests were joined by students from four Saskatchewan schools.
Watch a video of the unveiling ceremony, which took place on October 10, 2012.
For more information on this and other Legislative Building Centennial events, please visit the official site.