A visit to the Saskatchewan Legislative Building is a great way to help students learn about democracy.
There are two school tour options to consider:
- The full school visit program takes approximately two hours (details below) and is available when the Assembly is in session. For this program, please refer to the parliamentary calendar to select a date when the Assembly will be sitting, then submit the request form.
- A class can come in just for a Legislative Building tour, which takes about 30 minutes. This option is popular with school groups visiting outside of a legislative session.
School Visit Program
• A 30-min tour of the Legislative Building
• Introduction in the Chamber by the MLA who represents your school
• Observing the proceedings of the Assembly
• Meeting with your school’s MLA
• Posing for a group photo with your school’s MLA
Note: MLAs do not arrange school visits. Visitor Services coordinates the program.
Occasionally, program schedules may need to be altered depending on Assembly business.
Please use this form to book your school group visit.
Preparing For Your Visit
To help your class prepare for the program, you may want to have your students write a few questions that they can ask their MLA during their visit.
Find your school's constituency
Learn about your school's MLA by reading their biography
The Role of an MLA
Election of an MLA
How Laws Are Made
- Please arrive five to ten minutes prior to your booked time. There is limited space in the building entrance to accommodate groups that arrive earlier.
- Please enter the Legislative Building through the Prince of Wales entrance, west of the main front doors.
- Please report to the Security desk before bringing your group inside. Teachers, group leaders, and other accompanying adults will be asked to submit photo ID in exchange for a visitor pass. The photo ID will be returned when exiting the building. Building access and security >>
- Please leave student backpacks and any large items in your vehicle, if possible.
The Legislative Building is a working office building. Teachers, group leaders, and chaperones must take full responsibility for the conduct of the group while they are in the building. Please ensure that your group is aware of this, and that they are as quiet as possible while here.
While on tour:
• photos are permitted
• cell phones should not be used except to take photos
• audio-visual recording is not permitted
• selfie sticks and tripods are not permitted
• food and drinks are not permitted
While seated in the Chamber:
• headgear must be removed, except for religious wear or uniforms
• cameras and electronic devices are not permitted
• cell phones must be turned off and kept out of sight
• visitors must remain quiet, and not participate in the proceedings (e.g. no clapping or waving)
• visitors should rise for the Speaker’s Parade and prayer, and be seated for the remainder of the time
If your group would like to have snacks or a meal while visiting the Legislative Building, please contact the Dome Cafeteria, which is located on the building's lower level. 306 787 9697
Call us at 306 787 5358